I’ve got two items for you today:
- the results from a survey of independent consultants and coaches
- an announcement
1. Survey Results
A few weeks ago I conducted a quick survey of solo consultants/coaches to find out how they use marketing automation (tools like Infusionsoft, Contactually, MailChimp, Hubspot, etc). The findings from the survey were a big help for the direction of my business (more on that in a sec).
Here’s a report summarizing the results: View The Report
The high-level summary is that I found three profiles of independent consultants (as they relate to their sales/marketing efforts):
- Consultants that need help defining their target market.
- Consultants that need help finding and converting prospects.
- Consultants who understand their target market and how to convert prospects, but need a way to make the marketing/sales process more time and cost effective.
You can checkout the report here: View The Report
2. The Announcement
When I went full-time with my business in 2012, my focus was on leading software projects for companies. That was a pretty broad focus and I worked on lots of different kinds of projects. I did work for different kinds of companies (big, small, across industries), for different departments (sales/marketing, product, IT, legal, finance, etc), doing different kinds of work (management consulting, project management, analysis, technical work, training, etc). I had a blast, but decided about 6 months ago that I wanted to focus my business more. And now I’m excited to announce what that direction is.
The Next Step for Shea Consulting, LLC
My practice is going to focus on helping small and medium-sized businesses build systems that make their sales/marketing efforts more time and cost effective. We’re focusing on Profile #3 from the survey results above. Some details about who we’re helping and how:
- Who They Are: small and medium-sized service business. Examples include consultants, coaching practices, and independent agencies.
- Their Strengths: These are businesses that understand their target markets deeply. They know how to convert prospects into clients. They have an existing client base, repeat business and get word of mouth referrals.
- Their Problem: Their sales and marketing processes take a lot of time and effort. It takes time to find new prospects and it takes time to give those prospects the information they need to make a buying decision. My target customers don’t have a lot of extra time for sales and marketing. They want to convert prospects into clients in a more time and cost effective way.
- The Opportunity: If these business can convert more prospects more effectively they can: scale their business, raise rates, and get more ideal projects (and fewer non-ideal projects).
- How We Help: We build marketing systems that simplify how businesses convert prospects. Our clients know what information their prospects need in order to buy. We setup systems that keep track of their prospects and deliver the content prospects need, when they need it. This eliminates a lot of the manual activities associated with sales and marketing.
- Our Methodology: We believe that the world of technology is way too complicated. There are seemingly endless tools, techniques and best practices in the marketplace. Our job is to simplify that. We work with our clients to understand their business and their needs. Then we choose and implement simple tools that fit their needs and are easy for our clients to use. And we do this in a way that is time and cost effective for small/medium-sized business.
What about your former and current clients that don’t fit into the profile above? Will you still be working with them?
Definitely. I will still be working with my former and current clients, and with word of mouth clients that I can help. The only change here is that I won’t be actively marketing to prospects outside of the target profile above.
Where can I learn more?
If you’re interested in learning more, you can visit sheaconsulting.biz.
In the next few weeks I’ll be building out a lot more information on sheaconsulting.biz. This will include tools to help businesses convert prospects more easily. If you want to receive this content when it’s available you can signup for my email list: Signup here
(Note: this is a new email list. That means even if you receive my blog via email, you’ll need to signup in order to get these updates.)
As always, feel free to reach out if you have any questions or comments:
brian [AT] sheaconsulting [DOT] biz